Tales of the Bearded Toad

Short stories and the occasional true tidbit devised in the life and times of the Bearded Toad

Sunday, January 13, 2008

There's a New One - Part II

A note from the Author: It's been a long time since I've posted, but here's my latest attempt. I would suggest that you read the first "There's a New One" before this one as it builds on the first. Thanks for reading!

************

Why couldn’t they believe him? Were they afraid? Were they stupid? Maybe, they know. Yes, they know and they’re trying to cover it up. Why are the lights trailing behind when I move my eyes?
The drug was starting to make his head swim a little. The needle had burned when the big orderly stuck it in, but not as much as what he called “the medicine.” He didn’t like the big orderly; he was always too rough with him. The little guy was never rough, but asked nicely instead.
“The doctor will be in to see you in a few minutes,” the course voice boomed with bullhorn clarity.
Why did he have to yell? He was standing right over me? I’m going to ask the doctor to give keep that big fucker away from me. Maybe he’ll listen to that at least. I know he won’t listen to anything else I say.
The door swung open sending a reflection of the hallway lights shooting across the ceiling in such a way that it looked almost liking a shooting star. I wish that I was the original. Do you think it will come true. Sure. Why not? If the rest of the world can believe I always existed, why can’t they believe I was the original? Another shooting star. I wish that I could explain it so that they really do believe that I am the original.
“Leroy? Do you mind if I call you Leroy?”
“No, Doc. That’s who I am. The first, and hopefully the last.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“I’m the original; I’m the first.”
“The first what, Leroy?”
“The first Leroy, the first of the others…I mean, the others are new versions of me. Do you see?”
“Yes, I see. “
“Doc, listen, can you keep that big orderly away from me? He’s always too rough. I see him standing over there. See? Look how mean he looks.”
“Fine, Leroy. I’ll have Charles here take the sample then.”
“What sample?”
“We’re going to take a DNA sample for a research project we’re conducting. The goal is to determine if there are any genetic markers that contribute to your condition.”
“But I’m the only one, right, Doc? There aren’t more people who spawn others are there?”
“No, Leroy; I don’t think so.”
“Well how are you going to take it then?”
“Charles will just take a small sample of blood from your arm.”
The small orderly walked over and rubbed the inside of his elbow with a wet cotton ball. The sensation was cool and warm at the same time. He could smell the alcohol. The needle didn’t burn as much this time, though. He watched as the crimson, almost purple essence burst into the vile, filling it in what seemed like only a few moments. The orderly pulled the needle out holding a cotton ball on the puncture and wrapped it to stop the bleeding.
“There we are.” The orderly looked him in the eyes and winked. Then he and the doctor turned and walked out, saying nothing more.
Why did he wink at me? He knows something. They’re definitely in on it.
A few minutes passed and he heard Charles talking outside his door again. He raised his head to see through the square window in the door. No! Not my blood too?
Through the window he saw Charles’ face, and right behind it was his own. His own face staring back at him through the window. Not another one! He could read his own lips as they said, “Yes, that’s him. Where did you find him?”
“His wife brought him in. She said he thought he wasn’t the original anymore, whatever that meant.”

6 Comments:

Blogger DBA Lehane said...

Hey Brandon, you're back! This is the best thing that's happened in blogland for a long time!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Very interesting, Brandon.
The structure and pace of words feel just right too.

BRANDON!!!!
Hey, you're back.
How wonderful. I have a new blog now. It's called Palette and just talks about my writing life in Dublin. I'm starting over. Here it is at Palette

5:04 PM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

So he really was crazy? What a wild story. I could so see this being a movie.

As usual, I find your work superb.

2:58 AM  
Blogger DBA Lehane said...

I seriously hope you are not just posting once a year!?

5:24 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Yoo-hoo, Brandon... :-)

1:52 PM  
Blogger DBA Lehane said...

Ok...it's time to send in a search party!

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home