Tales of the Bearded Toad

Short stories and the occasional true tidbit devised in the life and times of the Bearded Toad

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

There's a New One


He knelt down to tie his shoe, but he stayed there. He left his hands with his fingers gently holding the loops of his right shoe, with his left foot tucked under him. Frozen, she wondered what it was that could have triggered it this time. Usually when this happened, it was because he saw something that reminded him. She looked around, trying to find it. There it was, his name in reflective white letters in a field of green.

She had hoped the trip would help him forget. They’d been planning it for two months now. Actually, she’d been planning it. He just agreed to whatever she said. Watching a show on Broadway? “Sure.” Shopping for fake purses in China Town? “If that’s what you need.”

Two weeks before they left, he’d been driving and saw what could have been his twin riding with his head out the window. He’d turned around and followed the car for two miles, where the driver pulled into a parking space in front of a windshield repair shop. When the man got out, he’d yelled out the window, “Leroy?” No response.

Leroy had a belief. Not one of those that don’t really mean anything to the holder, such as believing that too much masturbation can cause blindness. “We shouldn’t have had sex last night,” he finally said flatly to her. “I don’t know how you talk me into doing something that I know will only create another one.”

“You think that this sign is saying that there is another one now?”

“Of course. What else could it mean?”

She could sense the agitation and fear building in him again. “Leroy, I’m pretty sure that this sign and this street were here well before you were born.”

“That’s just it. It probably was…now.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Every time one is created, it seems to the rest of the world, that they had always been around. The whole of history and time is altered with its creation. I thought I’d explained that to you before. Listen, I know you still think I’m crazy, but I know that that little seed of mine is cursed.”

She didn’t always listen to him anymore when he was trying to explain his ideas. “I guess you did tell me that. So what do you want to do about it now?”

“Take down the sign. We have to take down this sign and the one on the other end of the street. Once they are down, he will disappear, along with all traces of him.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to take down a road sign in the middle of Manhattan with all these people around. We could get arrested.”

“I don’t care. I’ve been arrested before. Just don’t let them put me in that hospital again. Jail I can handle, but I wouldn’t be able to take being put in with my others again. Plus, they’d figure out that I was lying last time just to be let out. Come on help me with this.”

He was stacking two plastic crates in front of the sign post. She knelt down and held onto it so that it wouldn’t tip over when he climbed on top. He took out the multi-tool that his father had given him for his last birthday. It had his name and date of birth inscribed in white letters along the side. When he held it up to start twisting off the first nut, the pairing of his name in white twice made him freeze again.

“What if I’m not the original? What if I’m just carrying on the multiplication of Leroy ‘somebody’ and I’m just his clone? What if every time I have an orgasm, I’m not creating another me; I’m creating another him? He could be trying to wipe me out of history.”

He stepped down and stared at her. She just stared back. He put his multi-tool back in his pocket and walked away.

10 Comments:

Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

...such as believing that too much masturbation can cause blindness.
Is it true then, Brandon? Bet you won't answer. tee-hee!

Thought you wrote a truly delightful story. :-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Author said...

Interesting idea there. I've noticed you like to write stories with very odd premises. I'll bet you could get some really good mileage out of that idea, if you worked it into a novel, and filled it out a bit.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What an intriguing and chilling story, Brandon.
Good to see you back again.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story. I love stories about the mentally insane. You are truly talented. Love, your wife

2:23 PM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

Creepy, creepy tale that one. But very well done!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Brandon,
It's still me except that I've changed the avatar.
I do so miss your short stories & good company.
Hope you're well. :-)

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon, that was just so intriguing. I always enjoy your stories. I've been away a bit myself for a while, but I'm back now - come pay a visit sometime!

Do you have any plans to flesh out that story because it deserves it. I'd love to read more about it. The whole creation through orgasm thing gave me pause for thought.

Very inventive, my friend, and very well told.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Caetano Evon said...

lol.. masturbation can cause blindness..
a very curious story, I enjoyed a lot... it seems more like an episode in a novel..
great writing ;)

6:35 PM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

Fantastic! Completely orginal and riveting.

6:45 AM  
Blogger RomanceWriter said...

I've linked to you at
my writing group's blog:

http://brandnewaspiringwriters.blogspot.com/

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home