Tales of the Bearded Toad

Short stories and the occasional true tidbit devised in the life and times of the Bearded Toad

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

My Collaborative Challenge

I’d like to issue a challenge of sorts. It’s not really a competition, but a small experiment in collaborative writing. Maybe it’s a means to connect to each other a little further too.

I’d like to see who would be willing to add a bit of their voice to a story that I begin. I’ll write the first paragraph then send it to the next person for paragraph two, who will return it to me to send it to the next person for paragraph three and so on. The difficult part will be to create a story that has some semblance of meaning within the following guidelines:

It must be all fiction.
The end result must be between 500 and 750 words.
No one can alter what was written by the previous contributors.
It has to be back to me no later than Monday, August 27, 2006.

I know it may not sound very difficult, but the first people to contribute have to keep in mind how many people follow. I would start the process by sending the first paragraph to the next person in line on Friday morning around 9:00 am EST (that’s per the US east coast). When it’s complete, I will post the result here on Tales of the Bearded Toad. It will not appear anywhere else and all those who contribute will be listed in an accompanying statement.

So if you’d like to participate, please send your email address to me at bhorne2x@yahoo.com or leave it in a comment below. I promise that I won’t use it for any other purpose but this exercise. I won’t even bother unless we get at least six participants, so invite your friends to join in. Thanks.

14 Comments:

Blogger The Wandering Author said...

I already e-mailed you with details, but count me in! I can imagine this could get hairy, but it could also be interesting.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

Sounds like a great exercise! I would have taken part, but am constrained by time. I sure hope you keep doing more of these in the future, too. I would love to jump in.

Thanks for visiting my blog and linking to it. I have done the same :)

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I'm happy to give it a go - will make a change from the usual stuff I write ;-)

2:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon...sounds a great idea! Count me in too!

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brandon, please count me in.

I'd love to do a round robin on a story.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

hey, I'm late on this one. Pleeze count me in too. I'd love to be a part of this. What with Lehane's death, Brandon's fluidity, Nicky's sarcasm, and my flowery stuff, I reckon we might even turn out something half decent:-)) (wink)Sorry wandering author and Amin, haven't read anything of yours as yet. but i'm sure it will be fun.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Well that makes six participants, but I'll wait until tomorrow morning, my time, to send out to the second person, just in case we have another person who wants to join. I'm going to randomize the order so that everyone has an equal chance to be the last person to pull it all together.

Do the rest of you agree with Nicky that I should increase the length? To the wandering author's suggestion that it might get hairy, absolutely to be expected, but I can't come up with any other rules that would help. I look forward to seeing what happens.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I for one would welcome a bit more length. Oh, I do hope that doesn't sound the way it reads!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Brandon,
Unfortunately, I don't have the confidence that I'm as good as any of the others here, so perhaps next time.
cheers

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:O Susan? Not as talented?!!! Next you'll be telling us the earth is flat and Elvis is alive and well living in the Bora Bora with Bin Laden! ;)

2:36 AM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

I agree with Lehane on that score.

I'm counting on you Susan. Please join us.

2:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, Susan! Of course you can do this - remember, you just posted that amazing excerpt from your novel on your site.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Saaleha, you have just described all the names you wanted to see writing this story. Mine was nowhere in your thoughts.
Not to worry. I don't mind.
I can't believe any of you would want me in. I think you all write so much better than me, don't you.
I often feel the ugly duckling.
Anyway, Brandon's time frame is too tight...I'm 12 hours ahead of America. It doesn't leave any space for me. My country is about to enter Aug 26 in a few hours.
Good luck to all of you!

7:31 AM  
Blogger oregonman said...

count me in, do I need to use complete sentences? this would be a good fun. it's great to see the connectiveness started here. the revolution will not be televised, it will be blogged.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home